Nov 30 2012
When I got the new iPad when it came out I had checked out this app but for $10 didn’t take the plunge. Air Display from Avatron lets you use your iPad as a second wireless display for your computer! how awesome does that sound? I downloaded the new free version of the app (it has ads) and it installed in seconds, installing on the iMac took about a minute and required a restart .. now I have a little Air Display icon in the toolbar at the top of my display. One caveat is that the iPad and iMac both have to be on the same network (my iMac is wired and the iPad is wireless, so that works ok).
Some “great ideas” from their website:
- Fill your iPad screen with your utility apps, like iChat, Mail, iCal, and Calculator.
- Amaze your friends by playing Flash animations on your iPad!
- Graphic design: Make Photoshop and Illustrator usable on your laptop by putting your tool palettes on the iPad screen.
- Music: Use your iPad as the ultimate control surface for Logic or Pro Tools.
- Programming: Use the extra display area for such auxiliary development tools as Console, Terminal, and the Debugger.
- Business: Move all of your iWork and Office tool palettes and inspector windows onto the iPad, and let your document fill the screen.
- Real estate or Sales: Hand a client a mirrored display while you work at the laptop.
- Photography: Hold a live feed in one hand; adjust lighting with the other.
- Medicine: Let a patient or family member watch a procedure on a wireless video monitor.
- Office: Carry your extra monitor down the hall to a meeting.