Apr 6 2011
I started writing this post a few months back, while searching for an nntp client app .. this is the first of a few parts about nntp clients and servers, so here it goes:
Back in the day when I was a PC user, I used to read and download a lot of information from newsgroups. For some reason, Newsgroups and Usenet do not seem quite as popular amongst mac people. On the PC I used a newsreader app that I liked called Newsbin Pro on a great news server called Giganews and wanted to try to find something that worked in a similar fashion for OS X. Easier said than done, I guess. I tried about 10 and none were really very good and then I stumbled on Mimo.
Currently Giganews offers a new usenet browser developed by Golden Frog software that is currently in beta called Mimo for it’s diamond level subscribers, it also has a nice newsgroup search function built in.
Features blurbage from giganews website :
- Optimized for faster downloads, searches and browsing
- Optimized search for long retention news servers
- Integrated image thumbnail viewing
- Filtering on text, binaries and images
- Auto unRAR and PAR technology
- Integrated Giganews Accelerator technology
- Integrated Golden Frog Usenet Search
Golden Frog Usenet Search includes:
- Servers optimized for speed
- Binary searches across all groups
- Subject-based binary searches
- Dynamic indexing of Giganews’ complete retention
So, if you like Newzbin Pro, you may like MIMO .. I took the public beta for a test drive and it was good (with a few unpredictable crashes unfortunately) .. hopefully when its fully released some of the issues are resolved.